Saturday, October 4, 2014

Like forgetting the door open...

 . ...And suddenly guests come in and I feel like I have to introduce myself. I might not be the best host out there but for sure I'll do my best, so whoever comes in can read a little about me. I have some answers at some question people might ask so they can get a glimpse of idea about who I am.
        
        

What is the title of the book (fiction) you are currently reading, or what is the title of the last fiction book you read?

In the past two months I stopped reading fiction literature because I had to focus on the university application as well as getting some information about what I was about to do when the courses start. Beside programming languages and some articles about how to model in different computer graphics software, nothing else was to be read. Before that period of time, probably four months ago I finished reading “The Shinning” by Stephen King. I really enjoyed his book because his writing techniques appeal to my taste as he can make me feel anxious and most of the time uncomfortable. King tell his stories in such way you can feel a shiver down your spine when you read them. He is a master when it comes to horror novels.

                                             

What is the title/topic of the book (non-fiction) you are currently reading, or what is the title /topic of the last non-fiction book you read.

I had to read a lot of non-fiction books this year, especially in May because the final exams were right around the corner and I had to prepare a total of seventeen Romanian writers. Even though I was supposed to write about one author, I could not rely on luck so the best thing to do was to read one book for every writer on the list. I can honestly say that I enjoyed each and every book I chose. Different styles, different stories, each book had something new and interesting to show to the reader. Although was a pleasure to read them all, I can’t deny the fact that the one that I liked the most was “Morometii” by Marin Preda. The story is set between First and Second World War. The book focuses on Moromete family that struggles to stay unite in uncertain and unpredictable times, caught between two major historical disputes. I recommend the book to everyone that likes drama, history and humor.

                                                       

What is the last live performance (music, drama or dance) you attended?

My last live performance I attended was in Bucharest, a couple months ago when I went to see a Romanian rock band playing live. They did an awesome job on stage. I was very pleased I could go and see them. One of the best experience I had. 
                                       





What is the title of the last film you saw at the cinema/online or watched on DVD.


The last movie I watched on DVD was “The Number 23” which is a psychological thriller film written by Fernley Phillips,  starring Jim Carrey. The film is really intense, has a captivating story and an unexpected ending. Go watch it if you have't already!
                     
                                                                                            

How often do you read a newspaper? (Which one? Online or physical?)

I don’t read newspaper as most of the news I get to know about are from television, social media or friends. I believe newspapers are not a good way of staying updated to social life nowadays mostly because there are better and faster ways of getting information.
                                                     





Which art gallery/museum/ exhibition did you last visit?

I remember that, before the school ended, I visited an art gallery in Bucharest that had exposed all kind of contemporary paintings that, to be honest, were very hard to comprehend. Most of them were very minimalistic and had almost no “art elements”. Probably that’s why I focus on programming and not on designing. All in all, it was a nice and quite unique experience.    
                                                       




How many hours a week do you spend playing video games?

Now that I am away from home and I have to take care of everything, I would  say I probably spend about ten hours a week playing video games but before coming to university I had a lot more. Playing games on computer was the most common way of entertainment. After a long day at school ( most of the time I had about six/seven courses a day), video games were the best way of relaxing. I believe this was for the best because I’ve learned a lot from playing video games, to be honest, such as history, geography, time and money management, I developed good reflexes and good skills in communication. Definitely it was not a wasted time.










How many hours a week do you spend playing games other than video games?

chess animated GIFTo be honest, the only games I played other than video games were chess and backgammon. My father is very good at chess and he usually had time for one or two skirmishes. Other than that, I didn’t play board games of any kind except “Catan”, “Monopoly” and some card games from time to time, so on average I probably spend less than an hour a week . 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dragos,

    I hadn't read any Stephen King, but when Joyland was published by Hard Case Crime last year, I gave it a go and quite enjoyed it. It's not really horror, so much as a crime story with a supernatural element. I may add another King to my TBR pile to see how I get on with his horror stuff.

    You might find The Guardian an interesting paper. The extensive website includes a games blog and lots of games-related news: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked the "The Guardian" website and it has a bunch of interesting articles about game industry that, to my way of thinking, are well written and are worth reading. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete