Sunday, March 15, 2015

First solo project: Photonic Escape

    For my first solo project I thought to myself to aim as high as possible. Obviously, my limited knowledge was the only boundary but this was not an issue. I always see the assignments as an opportunity to improve and get the best of me especially when I have all the tools I need. Despite the fact that I am a Computer Games Design, my biggest hobby regard to the industry is scripting. So, the focus of the project was to get my codding knowledge as high up as possible in a short time. In highschool I had 4 years of C++ but things are different here and little were the information I could use. I don't say I took everything right from beginning but I wasn't too prepared either.
    The game I wanted to make at first was a top-down RPG I managed to get some simple animations done but was not enough and because I don't like spending too much time drawing I quit the idea for later. I reached the conclusion that the easiest way possible is to use simple geometrical shapes and rely only on gameplay and sound. The artistic part was not for me.
    The production wasn't as it should have been because I didn't know how a plan should be done in order to have everything on paper before beginning. But this was not a bad thing because I could focus on scripting.
    I've spent around two weeks on the development mainly because I wanted to understand and to create my own style regard to code writing.
    After the game was done I was curious to get real feedback and I had my game on Kongregate. At the time I write the post I had 3 stars out of 5. I was pretty happy with this especially because "Photonic Escape" is my first ever solo made game.
    This project, as well as the others, helped me to improve the way I was working as well as getting better at codding.
    You can try the game here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Paperjuice/photonic-escape

No comments:

Post a Comment